Servicing our military members that have been posted in and out of CFB Edmonton Garrison is a major part of our real estate business. If you have any other questions, feel free to contact us.

Edmonton Military Moves

Frequently Asked IRP Questions

Congratulations! You have been posted and need to sell or buy another home. Every year we deal with several military moves and are here to help make these moves less stressful. Below are some common IRP questions you may have on your Edmonton posting.

I have my posting message but I have not met with my BGRS rep yet. Can I list my property?

  • Yes. During the busiest posting season, you may have a long wait before you can meet with your BGRS representative. You may not want to lose that time in selling your home. There is no problem listing your home for sale or even selling your property before you meet.

I have not sold my house here. Can I go on my House Hunting Trip before it sells?

  • Not unless you are in a financial position to hold both properties or you have special permission. BGRS only pays for one house hunting trip(HHT).

I have been told I am posted but do not have my message yet. Can I list my house now?

  • Yes, you can list your home for sale, but if we receive an offer prior to your posting message, we will need to add a sellers condition clause contingent on receiving your posting message.

If I am posted and have a mortgage prepayment penalty. Is this covered and how do I handle this?

  • Most major financial institutions will not charge a penalty if porting (moving your current mortgage to another property). Some banks will waive the prepayment penalties for our Canadian Armed Forces Members. It is best to check with your current financial lender prior to accepting an offer. Payout penalties can run into thousands of dollars.

Do I need a new real property report and does BGRS cover it?

  • If you have not made any exterior changes to your current property and have a compliance stamp on your Real Property Report, you do not need another one. Even if it is a hundred years old. If you have made any changes, you will need a new real property report. This RPR forms part of your sale agreement and must have compliance to match the content in Alberta real estate purchase contracts. If you live in a town near CFB Garrison, such as Gibbons, Bon Accord or Morinville RPR rules are different. Yes, Brookfield covers this cost.

Does my home need to be spotless when I leave?

  • In the province of Alberta, unlike other provinces the title is not transferred on the same day as  possession. In Alberta, your lawyer will start the transfer of title, prior to meeting you. Unless it specifically states in your purchase agreement to do a "walk through", the buyer will only know how clean your home is once they have keys and the title has already been transferred. It is common courtesy to leave your home as clean as possible, especially if another military member has purchased your home. Word gets around. BGRS now only pays for cleaning on one side.

Can I list my home with a relative?

  • No. The TPSP (third party supplier) provider must be at arm's length, which means a transaction is one that is consummated between two or more non-related parties as per Canada Revenue Agency interpretation. Related individuals include direct-line descendants, spouses, partners, siblings and in-laws. It also includes non-immediate family members such as cousins, aunts, uncles, nephews, or nieces. If you choose to use a relative, BGRS reimbursement of their services is not eligible and will need to paid out of pocket.

What happens if I can not sell my current residence?

  • There are relocation benefits in place to assist with the financial burden of dual residency (including grass & snow removal). Your BGRS Advisor will discuss the temporary dual residence assistance benefits with you and review your options. If your property is sitting vacant, please ensure someone is able to keep checking in on it for insurance purposes.

What is the going rate for real estate commission when posted?

  • Every province is mandated differently when it comes to IRP real estate commissions. When choosing a REALTOR® in the TPSP directory, they have already agreed to the commission structure set out by Brookfield as part of the services provided to our military members.

Once I dispose of my current residence what is my next step?

  • Ensure your home is sold (not pending) prior to contacting your Brookfield Advisor for your HHT (house hunting trip). With recent changes in mortgage qualifying rates, several offers throughout Canada have been crashing on financing. Once you know your home has been sold, all conditions and contingencies have been met, contact your Brookfield Advisor immediately and book your HHT as soon as possible. The more time you have between your HHT and your COS dates, the more properties available to you.

My house hunting trip is only for one week. How many days should I spend actually looking at houses?

  • First, ensure you choose a BGRS approved REALTOR® who is familiar with the Integrated Relocation Program and the house-hunting process. Your IRP approved REALTOR® can also recommend inspectors and lawyers are also on the Brookfield TPSP directory list.Agents who deal with military moves will dedicate their whole week to working with you only. Contact us for more info on the HHT process.

If I find a house on the internet and want more information can you email me more details?

  • Yes. We use a system called "Paragon" which feeds and have access to all the MLS® listing data including how much properties have sold for in the past. We can also set you up on "Autoprospecting", which is an automated system where we add your search criteria and only those homes will automatically be emailed to you. This can also save you time on your houses hunting trip.

I am not familiar with Edmonton. How do I request information from you about the better communities?

  • If you would like more information on buying homes near CFB Garrison or would like to know which Edmonton communities have higher crime rates, please feel free to call/text us or simply fill out the form below. We are here to help our Canadian Armed Forces Members.

What if I go on a House Hunting Trip and do not find a place to live?

  • Ensure you have your mortgage pre-approval put in place prior to arriving in Edmonton. We have several properties to choose from, so there is no concern about finding a home for you and your family. However, if your financial situation does not allow you to purchase a property at this time, apply as soon as possible for a spot in the Barracks. If you choose to rent, our average rental prices for a two-bedroom condo will range from $1000 - $1500 per month.

Can I drive to my posted destination on my HHT?

  • Although it may be faster to fly to Edmonton and rent a courtesy vehicle once you have landed, there may be options available in your employer relocation policy which allow flexibility with a house-hunting trip, please discuss with your Brookfield Advisor.

Can I stay with family members instead of a hotel?

  • Yes, and you may claim the non-commercial accommodation allowance when you stay with friends or family during your relocation. We have several hotels in Edmonton which also catered to our military members. The top picks from our pst DND HHT members have been the Rosslyn Inn & Suites Edmonton on 97 Street, and Holiday Inn Express Hotel on 50 Street which are both six minutes from CFB Garrison. If your family is coming on your house hunting trip, the St. Albert Inn on St.Albert Trail is only a few minutes from base and has a wonderful swimming pool.

What if my furniture arrives before I do?

  • Please line up your dates accordingly. (Furniture should be dropped off at least one day after your closing date). I will remind you again. If your furniture arrives before you, it may go into short-term storage until you arrive, or it may stay on the moving truck, depending on what the moving company decides. Storage is no longer covered by Brookfield and you will need to pay out of pocket. You should discuss this potential with base traffic personnel.

When do I register for my posting?

  • On receipt of your posting message, proceed to and pre-register, keeping in mind it may take a few days for your employer to download your file to Brookfield GRS. The system will request that you fill in the information according to your posting message, entering your last name and service number (with no spaces) identical to the data on the posting message. Do not leave anything blank. It will delay the process.
  • Once your file has been authorized by your employer the system will match the information from your employer with your pre-registration and send your password and User ID via email. You will then be able to complete the registration process. If you are a release military member please note that you are required to contact the "release section" in order to commence the process of establishing your final relocation prior to contacting BGRS. On successful registration, a Brookfield Advisor will be assigned and contact you within a few business days to discuss your relocation intentions and book your 1st Planning Session.

What are TPSP suppliers and do I have to use them?

  • Third-Party Service Providers (TPSP) are suppliers who provide specialized services in accordance with the CFIRP program. TPSPs include real estate appraisers, property inspectors, REALTORS® and lawyers. The “Open Broker” policy of the IRP gives you the freedom to select any TPSP regardless if they are on the directory or not, however, if the third-party service provider is not in the IRP-supplier-directory, they may not be familiar with the BGRS process and may cause setbacks.

How can I get an advance and how long does it take?

  • Advance requests are submitted through your secure website. Brookfield GRS will process the request within 3-5 business days. Please note your employer will not authorize the release of travel type advances more than 21 days prior to the first travel day.

How is the travel mileage calculated?

The authorized mileage for travel is calculated based on the postal codes of the old and new place of duty, utilizing the Treasury Board approved ProMiles Software.

Can I take a vacation during travel to my new work location?

  • While some people do take a vacation during a relocation it would be best to refer to your employer’s policy and discuss your intentions with your Advisor as your decision may impact the benefits if certain relocation criteria are not met.

How do I get reimbursed for my relocation expenses?

  • Complete the on-line Itemized Expenditure Summary for the expenses you wish to claim. Print and submit it with original receipts to your Brookfield Advisor for processing. The expense claim will be forwarded to you for signature and funds deposited into your bank account within a few business days after receipt of your signed claim form. IRP service providers will ask you to fill out the service provider form with your BGRS number.

Is there someone outside of BGRS that I can talk to if I experience problems with my move?

  • The Canadian Forces Relocation Coordinator is a military member who is responsible to act as a liaison between you, BGRS and the Director Compensation Benefits Administration. Please contact your CF Relocation Coordinator if you are experiencing problems that you feel need attention outside of BGRS.

I have uploaded documents but I cannot see them on my file.

  • Uploaded documents need to be reviewed and accepted by your Advisor in order to be viewed on the Secure Website. As documents are uploaded, your Brookfield Advisor will be notified that documents are waiting for their action. Be patient, CFB Garrison is a large base and we have several postings every year.

Servicing our military members that have been posted in and out of CFB Edmonton Garrison is a major part of our real estate business. If you have any other insight for our DND members who have been posted, please let us know.

Copyright 2024 by the REALTORS® Association of Edmonton. All Rights Reserved.
Data is deemed reliable but is not guaranteed accurate by the REALTORS® Association of Edmonton.
The trademarks REALTOR®, REALTORS® and the REALTOR® logo are controlled by The Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA) and identify real estate professionals who are members of CREA. The trademarks MLS®, Multiple Listing Service® and the associated logos are owned by CREA and identify the quality of services provided by real estate professionals who are members of CREA.