William Blakey Residence
Historical Edmonton Homes
The William Blakey house is located in Glenora at 13526 101 Avenue NW near other prime real estate and other historical west-central Edmonton houses.
William Blakey was one of Edmonton’s most influential architects. He arrived in our city in 1907 following his brother and fellow architect, Richard, to the rapidly growing city. While Richard rose to become Provincial Architect from 1912 to 1924, William worked mostly in private practice. A number of his early buildings survive including Christ Church Anglican Church, Highlands United Church, the Masonic Temple, and the Garneau Theatre. Several of these buildings have since been demolished including the old Edmonton Journal building and the T. Eaton store.
By the 1940s Blakey’s ideas on architecture were evolving, and he became a firm supporter of modernism in building design and construction. He designed several strongly modernist churches such as St. Anthony’s and St. Agnes for the Roman Catholic Archdiocese and schools for the Edmonton Separate School Board. He also designed this Glenora house for his family in 1946 to reflect his advocacy of slab grade construction and other innovations in construction methods and materials. It features a symmetrical plan with a flat roof, large overhanging eaves, corner windows, and unornamented wall surfaces. These are all characteristic of the International Style, and this residence is one of Edmonton’s finest examples of this important architectural movement.
This prime location Edmonton house sold in 1996 for only $140,000. It was on the MLS market in 2013 with an asking price of $1,295,000. For more information or to learn the value of your Glenora Edmonton home, contact us at 780-910-5179.