Should you fire your Realtors® (part 2)
It is always best to try to resolve any issues or concerns you have prior to firing your agent. However, if you have made a mistake and chosen the wrong Realtor to represent you on the purchase or sale of your home, the best thing to do what is best for you and move on. Below are the top 3 reasons home sellers and buyers fire their Realt Estate Agents.
Reason 1: Lack of communication
You have signed a listing agreement with a Realtor and now have no idea what is happening with the sale of your home because your agent is not responding to your texts, emails or phone calls. A lack of communication is the biggest complaint Realtors receive from the public and is unacceptable. Even if there has not been any activity on your property, your Realtor should still be communicating with you to let you know there is no interest. A good Realtor will have systems in place to ensure you receive updates on the sale of your home on a regular basis. These updates should include:
- Feedback from all and every showing one you home
- The most recent real estate community activity including which homes have recently sold had price adjustments, and the homes which have been removed from the market.
- Updates on your neighbourhood house prices - Should you really drop your price?
- Feedback from Open houses
- How many people are looking at your home online
- The number of people who have viewed the videos
- All internet and yard sign inquires
- Any mortgage changes which will affect the sale of your home.
Reason 2: Your Photos Suck!
Let's face it! If your photos on the MLS are distorted, blurry or upside down, it shows the effort your Realtor is putting into the sale of your home. It also shows the quality of the Realtor you hired.
If you are a hoarder, have extremely messy tenants or your property needs some major repairs, there is still no reason why your MLS photos should not be clear. When a buyer views your home in person, they will see the condition of your home, so why hide it.
When putting photographs on the MLS, it is to attract buyers looking online. It only takes a few minutes for your home to show it's best. This is easily done and only takes a few minutes to remove anything in the photos which would discourage a buying from wanting to see your home. This is not rocket science.
- Remove any signs of pets including their toys and food dishes.
- Make your beds and open your blinds and curtains
- Clean off your kitchen counters and hide dirty dishes
- Don't over stage your home - This just clutters the photos
- Put the toilet seats down
- Cut your grass and shovel your walkways.
Reason 3: Showing you the wrong houses
When you sign a Buyer Brokerage Agreement with a Realtor to help you with the purchase of a home and you are discouraged with every property you have seen, this may be a sign you have chosen the wrong agent. As a buyers agent, your Realtor should be taking the time to search listings WITH YOU to determine which properties will work best for you and eliminate those which will not. Its fun to look at houses online, but great Realtors use a few techniques to make a property look better than it actually is. It's our job! When you are viewing homes online with your Realtor, you will be able to see the "private" comments including any contingencies which would discourage you from purchasing that home.
By eliminating "undesirable" properties will save both you and your Realtor time and frustration. It will also help those home sellers. Every time a sellers home in Edmonton is shown, the seller tries to make their property show its best by cleaning up, removing the kids and the pets and accommodating your showing time.
If you still have questions or concerns, please contact the Edmonton Real Estate Association at 780-451-6666.