The Chown Residence
Historical Edmonton Homes
The Chown Residence is located at 11141 - 62 Street, originally called Grace Street, in the Highlands near the famous Magrath Mansion.
The Chown residence was built in 1912 during the pre-World War One land boom in Edmonton and the development of the Highlands area as an affluent community. The large two and one-half story house, with stately wrap-around veranda, balcony, and gables, was designed by William Moorehouse, a prominent architect in the area. Moorehouse designed a number of features in Edmonton during this period. The Chowns were a prominent business family, operating a very successful jewelry store. Thus, the Chown residence makes the historical connection to early real estate and commerce in our municipality.
The Chown Residence was one of several Foursquares built in the Highlands before WWI, the Chown Residence was one of the more elaborate homes along the street following its construction. This two-story residence was built in 1912 by Magrath-Holgate Ltd. The residence was built in the Foursquare style with features including wood shingle and clapboard siding, a hipped roof with gables, and wide eaves with scroll-cut brackets around the house. Across the front (east) façade, is a verandah, which supports an open gable-roofed balcony. The verandah is supported by a number of paired columns and provides an open roof to the front porch. The residence is structured on a concrete foundation including a basement level. Situated around the house are a number of bay windows, which provided natural light to the interior.
Russell Chown, the owner of Chown Hardware, purchased this house from Magrath-Holgate Ltd. in December 1913. Due to the economic downturn, Chown’s business suffered and by 1924, Chown and his family left Edmonton. Although Magrath-Holgate Ltd. foreclosed the mortgage in 1922, Chown and his family continued living there for two years until they departed Edmonton. By this point, the house had decreased substantially in value and in 1924 the house was converted into two suites. In 1931, the house was foreclosed on by the Edmonton Credit Company and it was not until 1946 that the house finally regained and surpassed its original value of $7,000.
According to the Henderson Directories, the house remained a dual-family residence until 1960 when it was converted back into a single-family home. Like other historical Edmonton houses, there is no MLS sales history on this home. For more information or to learn the value of your Highlands Edmonton homes, contact us at 780-910-5179.