Sarah McLellan Residence
Historical Edmonton Homes
This house located at 11135 - 84 Avenue, constructed by Tom Leake, was built in 1913 and then valued at $4,500. It is one of the original, unaltered structures still remaining in Garneau Edmonton. Sarah McLellan emigrated from Scotland in 1906 and purchased the lot from Laurent Garneau in 1907. He was the farmer who owned most of the land on which the University of Alberta is now located.
This south Edmonton house is a larger version of the foursquare architectural style home with Arts and Crafts characteristics. Its design is one of the simple hipped properties. It features a hipped dormer window on each elevation in the roof, with the north and south dormers containing two sash windows while the east dormer contains a smaller casement window. The windows on the remaining elevations are sash windows, with notable casings and corniced crowning. The walls are sided at ground level in cedar lap siding and the upper level in plain cedar shakes. The two are separated by a timber board belt course, over which the shingles slightly project. The front upper elevation has a decorative pattern in the shingles enhanced by the use of diamond-shaped shingles. A frieze board under the eaves joins the walls and roof.
The east elevation also has a two-story projecting window bay, with the bay extending through the foundation. The front of the house has a veranda with slender, slightly tapered piers supporting the upper-level porch. The piers and posts are filled with crafted wood railings, posts, caps, and bracketing. All decorative features including moldings and spindle fluting remain. An indication that decorative wood bracketing existed between the piers has been noted. These have been replaced with replicated brackets true to the patterns manufactured by the Winnipeg Window and Door Company in 1912 – 1914 and were commonly used at that time. The base of the veranda is covered with wooden square lattices common to the period. The rear porch is similar to the front but does not extend the width of the building. A brick chimney projects from the top of the roof.
Despite its varied use over the years, the interior of the house has remained intact and is complete with original millwork, including five-panel doors, wainscoting, stairwell construction, moldings, and trim. Almost all of the original fir and maple flooring remains as do the fireplace and grillwork. From 1916 to 1922, the house was used as a nurses’ residence for the nurses working with First World War casualties at the military hospital that was located where the University of Alberta Hospital stands today.
This University area home was sold on the Edmonton Real Estate MLS board for $97,000 in 1987, then again in 2000 for $225,000. Today it is valued over $1,228,000.For more information or to learn the value of your Garneau Edmonton homes, contact us at 780-910-5179.