Historical Edmonton Homes
The McTaggart residence is located at 11530 95A Street in the heart of the Alberta Avenue district. It is a gabled roof, rectangular bungalow, with an enclosed front veranda. A wood-frame structure clad with wood siding and decorative wood shingles. The heritage value is significant as a well-preserved modest craftsman bungalow, the McTaggart residence is also representative of a middle-income single-family dwelling of the post-First World War era.
The McTaggart residence uses a variety of decorative motifs reminiscent of the craftsman style such as square posts with capitals supporting the verandah, exposed rafters with scrolled ends, large eave brackets, and decorative wood shingles in the gable end. This Edmonton house, 1922 built is significant for its association with individuals and families who made contributions to the community through their military and civic participation. Built by a real-estate developer, it was first occupied by John Lawson Haight, a veteran of the First World War and teacher. John Wesley McTaggart, a well-known accountant, and his wife, Myril, both active citizens of Edmonton, bought the house in 1925. Mrs. McTaggart lived in the house until 1977.
This historical Edmonton Alberta Avenue house last sold on the MLS system in 2000 for only $52,000. For more information or to learn the value of your Highlands Edmonton homes, contact us at 780-910-5179.