Historical Edmonton Homes
The Hunter Residence is located in the highly sought-after community of Riverdale at 9351 Cameron Avenue across from Louise McKinney Riverfront and Chinese Garden.
The Hunter Residence was constructed probably by Edmonton contractor Alexander J. MacKay. He purchased the property upon which the house was built in March 1907 from its local real estate agent who had acquired the property in February 1907 from its long-term owner, the Honourable Frank Oliver, Editor of the Bulletin and Minister of the Interior. Oliver had held title to the property since 1890. No documents exist, however, to indicate that he made any effort to develop the property. Mr. Falkenberg, moved the house closer to the front of the lot in 1917, thus allowing for a larger garden space at the rear of the property.
Frame houses of generous proportions, simply massed and bearing a minimum of historicizing detail were frequently constructed during Edmonton's prime boom era, 1905 to 1915. Due to material constraints and economic considerations, wood was the most common building material, and the structures ranged dramatically in scale.
Last sold by our Edmonton Remax Realtor in 2004 for $560,000. It is currently gone into foreclosure and is on the real estate market with the court of queens bench for an asking price of $700,000. For more information or to learn the value of your Riverdale Edmonton homes, contact us at 780-910-5179.