The Edmonton Garrison military facilities include:
The Twin Rinks Arena features an NHL standard rink and an outdoor community rink. The indoor rinks are open year-round for rentals, community skating, and military activities.
A Hobby Shop includes a woodshop and a fully functional Auto Shop with a wash bay, paint booth, and hoists.
A Community Centre that offers several facilities including the Military Family Resource Centre, a licensed Day Care, Playschool, Library, Youth Centre, and several multi-purpose rooms used for community functions and events.
A community garden is divided into small plots for individual horticultural efforts where you can grow a wide variety of plants and flowers that are suited to the local climate used by the Edmonton Garrison Horticulture Club.
The Garrison Memorial Equestrian Centre is home to the Lord Strathcona Mounted Troop. CFB Garrison Equestrian Centre includes a large indoor riding arena, several outdoor riding arenas, and a 42 stall barn. Boarding is available for reasonable prices.
Memorial Golf & Curling Club for a great golf experience that prides itself on course conditions, quality of service, and products. Although it is catered to the military, it is also open to the public. The golf course has now been stretched with championship tees totaling near 7000 yards along with an enjoyable 5100 from our forward tees.
The Edmonton Garrison Military Family Resource Centre (MFRC), established in 1989 is committed to enriching the lives of individuals and families in the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) through positive action, education, and support. It is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors comprised of military spouses, CF members, and ex-officio members.
The Garrison Officers' Mess hosts a wide variety of functions for military members throughout the year. The Mess has a very relaxing lounge that can accommodate up to 200+ persons. There are two conference rooms that can hold up to 40 people. The formal dining room can seat 200 people for your dining pleasure.
The Garrison warrant officer's & sergeant officer's Mess hold various functions for its Members throughout the year. The Mess has two rooms on the upper level that are available for private and unit functions and can accommodate anywhere from 10 to 300 guests.
The Edmonton Garrison Jr Ranks Mess has 2 rooms on the upper level that are available for private and unit functions and can accommodate up to 200+ persons, as well as a Sports Bar on the lower level for Members. The Jr Ranks Mess also has a comfortably furnished patio area that features patio heaters and two BBQs for use.
Edmonton Garrison Fitness Centre is a full-service recreation center with a wide range of facilities and services that are also open to the general public. CFB Garrison Fitness Centre includes an aquatic facility with a 25-yard main pool basin, a temperate leisure pool basin, and a whirlpool. There is a climbing wall of concrete construction with 12 lanes of top-rope climbing, ample bouldering space, and a limited number of lanes for leading climbing. Its unusual concrete construction comes with purpose-made cracks for jamming and the use of assists.
The Tactical Athlete Room includes a brand new training room with a large rig and an extensive selection of equipment to meet the needs of any functional fitness enthusiast. The Unarmed Combat Room and martial arts facilities include an unarmed combat room that features padded floors suitable for wresting or grapple forms of martial arts, gymnastics and yoga programs.
The Fieldhouse is a multi-functional facility that includes 3 regulation size basketball courts, a 200m indoor running track, a regulation size soccer pitch, and all the basketball courts can be converted to suit a variety of other sports including tennis, floor hockey, and badminton. The upper gym is a standard hardwood floor gymnasium suitable for a variety of sports including volleyball, badminton, and basketball. Squash Courts are available on a first-come-first-served basis.
The large Weights & Cardio Room is continuously updated according to modern trends and the demands of our users. The weights & cardio room is equipped with every piece of equipment to satisfy the needs of the most discerning fitness enthusiast.
CAF POLICY CHANGES, INFORMATION & IRP Changes 2018
As a BGRS approved military relocation Realtor in Edmonton and the surrounding area, it is important to stay current with information relating to military relocation moves and the Brookfield policies.
One of the biggest changes is the home equity assistance benefit, especially in our soft Edmonton real estate market. This has been a blessing for many of our DND members. It has helped both Canadian Armed Forces home sellers who would have otherwise, not been able to sell their current Alberta residence. It has also helped our military DND members who have been posted to CFB Garrison.
Below is a PDF with some great information on the directives that were updated in April 2018.
If you get a posting message to or from Edmonton, there is plenty of information you need to know. Below is a link with the helpful information provided by Brookfield Relocation Services.
We specialize in military moves, approved with BGRS for buying and selling in Edmonton and the surrounding area including Morinville, Bon Accord, Gibbons, Fort Saskatchewan and St. Albert. Our other real estate affiliates including inspectors and, lawyers are also on the BGRS approved vendor list.
If you have received your posting message, contact us & for a relocation package prior to your HHT or a complimentary pre-listing package for our DND members to maximize the equity in your home sale.
* NOTE* New changes coming to the IRP program in April 2021.
Military Relocation Packages
CAF Packages for our DND Postings!
Your relocation package will consist of three components Core, Custom and Personalized.
- The Core component covers items that are considered essential for your move such as the cost to sell your existing property or dispose of your rental unit, the cost of your House Hunting Trip (HHT) etc.
- The Custom component cover items that enhance your moves such as marketing incentives on your existing property to help it sell, bridge financing and costs associated with your extended family.
- The last component is non-essential but attributable to your move such as a Movement Grant, Posting Allowances and others.
Below is a description of the components, some examples of what each covers, and what happens if they are not used.
Core benefits are essential to a move. All core benefits are funded directly by the Department. A member is not required to use these benefits, however, any unused benefits cannot be exchanged or assigned any monetary value to pay for any other benefits or expenses.
Examples of items covered
- Disposal of your rental unit. Pay for getting out of a lease
- Pay for costs to sell your residence, all real estate commissions and legal fees etc, mortgage breaking penalties, home equity assistance
- Costs associated with your house hunting trips such as travel and hotels
- The cost to purchase a new house including legal fees, inspections
- The cost to move such as moving expenses, travel etc.
- Much more. Ask your IRP rep for more details.
Custom benefits enhance a move. Custom funding is based on the factors of the type of accommodation, distance travelled and family size. The custom funding formula is used by the member to pay for these custom benefits only and cannot be used for any other type of benefit.
Examples of items covered
- Building Inspection on your existing property
- Marketing Incentives such as decorating allowances, early closing incentives
- The cost to have someone take care of your children on HHT
- Dependant and Extended Family Travel
- Bridge Financing
- Interest on $25,000 Home Relocation Loan
- Miscellaneous Expenses for Extended Family such as transportation, lodgings, meals and miscellaneous expenses
- Car rental when primary vehicle shipped
- Shipment of – Second Vehicle, Pets, Boats, Antiques, Artwork, RV’s, Trailers
- Miscellaneous Shipping Expenses
- Spousal Employment Search expenses
Personalized benefits are non-essential expenses but are attributable to a move It is within the member’s discretion to use personalized benefits. The personalized funding formula is available for use in three ways:
- it can pay for any personalized benefits;
- it can pay for additional custom benefits beyond what can be covered by the custom-funding formula; and
- remaining funds can be cashed out and paid directly to the member.
Examples of items covered
- Movement Grant: Members receive a non-accountable grant in the amount of $650. This allowance is intended to offset various losses or expenses incurred but not specifically provided for because of the move. Members must sign a statement verifying that these expenses were incurred. Receipts are not required.
- Posting Allowance: Members who elect not to sell their home receive an incentive equal to 80% of the pre-negotiated corporate real estate commission rate based on the appraised value of the home. It shall not exceed $12,000. Members can generate Personalized Funding as a result of savings on a house-hunting trip. These savings can occur in one of two ways:
- Shortened HHT
- CF Service Air
Posted to CFB Edmonton Garrison?
Welcome to Edmonton Canadian Armed Forces Base
CFB Edmonton Garrison is also known as the "Steele Barracks". It is located a few minutes north of Edmonton in Sturgeon County and there are plenty of homes to choose from on your house hunting trip from no-maintenance condominiums for a simpler lifestyle to newer houses that have recently been constructed over the last few years to quiet family-oriented properties with large lots in nearby towns. Book your Edmonton House Hunting Trip.
Morinville Alberta has always been an attractive place for our DND members to purchase a detached home due to the house prices and the commute to CFB Garrison. Morinville is a growing community and over the last few years has become more popular for civilians and our ageing population which has increased real estate values. It is located less than ten minutes from St. Albert which is now the second-largest city in the Edmonton Metropolitan Region.
There are still a few nearby towns that are more affordable for our younger military members and their families offering the small rural home town ambience. These towns include Bon Accord, Gibbons and Legal. A bit further northwest of our city is another desirable place for our DND members to purchase property on house hunting trips in the city of Fort Saskatchewan which offers all municipal amenities. One of the main features of Fort Saskatchewan is one of the largest metropolitan river valley park systems in the world.
If you prefer the city life but want to stay within minutes of our military base, view our homes for sale in Northeast Edmonton or add a few more minutes to your commute and live in Northwest Edmonton. Popular military districts include Pilot Sound and the Lake District.
If you are posted to CFB Edmonton and would like a jump start on your house hunting trip, contact us and we will set you up with a customized property search that will save you time and eliminate those undesirable houses once you arrive.
Posted to CFB Garrison? Book your HHT today with an Edmonton BGRS approved Realtor
History of Canadian Armed Forces Base, CFB Edmonton Garrison
3rd Canadian Division Support Base Edmonton AB is a great place to be posted!
The third Canadian Division Support Base, CFB Edmonton is a Canadian Forces base located in Sturgeon County north Edmonton and east of St. Alberta municipality. CFB Edmonton Garrison is also known as the Steele Barracks. The history of this Canadian Armed force Edmonton Base begins in the old Blatchford Field airfield, named after Kenny Blatchford who was a former mayor of Edmonton.
During the First World War, this airfield began operating and became vital to the development of the Canadian north, a staging point for the U.S. defence of Alaska and was heavily used by the U.S. military.
During the Second World War, the Blatchford Field was a training station under the British Commonwealth which formed a Royal Canadian Air Force Flying Training School and used the aerodrome.
Since the Blatchford Field airfield could not be expanded due to the proximity of Edmonton, the United States Government built a new air facility at Namao, a hamlet within Sturgeon County located approximately seven kilometres north of our city limits. It was the namesake of RCAF Station Namao, now CFB Edmonton, which is directly south of the hamlet.
The RCAF Station Namao was used by the United States Strategic Air Command, during the Cold War. It constructed a "Nose Dock" capable of servicing the nose and wings of heavy jet bombers and tankers on the south side of the airfield and also hosted the Edmonton Rescue Coordination Center, and served as home base for United Nations Food Aid flights, delivering much-needed aid third world countries, and was a designated an emergency Space Shuttle landing site by NASA.
When Canada's armed forces were amalgamated in 1968, the RCAF Station Namao was re-designated CFB Edmonton and was under command of the new Air Transport Command. Today, both runways are still visible, but they are no longer in use with the exception of helicopters.
Today, this Canadian Armed Forces Military base, now known as the community of Griesbach has completely transformed. The new CFB Garrison is one of the largest bases and offers several facilities and services for its members including:
- Arena, Exercise Facility Combat Training to Yoga
- An arena that features an outdoor and two indoor NHL standard rinks.
- A hobby shop, home of the Edmonton Garrison Auto Club and Wood Hobby Club.
- A community centre that offers several facilities including licensed daycare, library, and youth centre.
- A memorial equestrian centre that includes large indoor and outdoor riding arenas, and a 42 stall barn.
- A large fitness facility r with multi-functional recreation and offers a wide range of programs and services. This facility includes a Cardio/Weight Room, Climbing Wall, Tactical Athlete Room, 4 full-size gym courts, 3 pools, squash courts, and an indoor running track.
- A memorial golf course stretched with championship tees totalling near 7000 yards.
- The famous Edmonton Garrison curling club facilities where you can bring your friends to enjoy some great food and drinks on our patio during the summer or inside during the winter.
- Three distinct messes which members and the public can book conferences, private functions, weddings, parties, events, and other activities.